Skip to main content

FAQ - Admitted Students  

Where should I send my official transcripts?

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Graduate Studies Office 3550 Terrace Street M240 Scaife Hall Pittsburgh, PA  15261

We also accept transcripts via Interfolio. Please have your transcripts sent electronically to  

What funding is available through the BMP?

The BMP offers a limited number of scholarships to selected students that cover only a portion of the tuition costs. Most students finance their education by utilizing Federal Direct loans (unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS), and/or private education loans.

Information on Federal options can be found at Private education loans are available through the websites of individual lenders. Private loans are typically issued in the student’s name and require a credit check. A credit worthy cosigner, who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, may be needed if the student’s credit is not sufficient. Students should compare interest rates, fees, and repayment options such as deferment and forbearance. Maximum loan amounts, loan terms, borrower qualification, repayment schedules, and interest rates vary among lenders. Some private education loans may require interest payments while the student is enrolled in school.

*What documents do I need to complete for financial aid?

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Federal School Code: 008815 Entrance Counseling Master Promissory Note (MPN)

If you are taking out a Graduate PLUS loan, you must complete a separate entrance counseling and a separate master promissory note. Both may be completed at

*Please be sure to contact the Admission & Financial Aid Office regarding any additional documents that are required to finalize your information.  

I have more financial aid questions. Who do I contact?

Your best resource for financial aid inquiries is the Admissions & Financial Aid Office. Phone: (412) 624-7488 Email:

When will I receive an invoice for my tuition and fees?

The Student Payment Center (SPC) lists all notifications and due dates of when you will receive your invoice. Students must be enrolled in courses prior to receiving a bill.

When will I receive my student ID card (Panther Card)?

Registered students are eligible to pick up their cards from Panther Central on or after August 1. Cards will be printed for students who present a valid government-issued photo ID (passport, driver’s license, state ID, etc.).

I was an undergraduate student at Pitt and I still have my Panther Card. Do I have to exchange it for a new one?

For students who have a current ID, it is recommended to contact Panther Central to ensure that you have the most up-to-date version of your ID card.

Am I able to work while in the BMP?

The BMP carries a heavy course load for students which includes master’s level science courses and experiential learning requirements. It is at the student's discretion if he or she would like to work while in the BMP.

When does the BMP have holiday breaks?

The BMP runs along the same academic calendar as the rest of the university. Please refer to the most recent academic calendar to find out information regarding university closures.

How long does it take to complete the BMP?

Please refer to the answer in the Prospective Applicants & Applicants section above.

Do I need textbooks for my classes?

Our core courses do not require textbooks. If there is information that you need, it will either be available online or given to you as a supplemental document during the course.

Depending on the other courses that you select, you may be required to purchase a textbook.